So, I finished my first week of using my weekly Chore Lists again. I’m sitting in a neat and tidy living room realizing that by just doing the daily chores, it’s made a big difference. One room at a time, I think I’m digging back out of the general messiness that had developed during the most recent season of life. For me, stress and depression can really effect my abilities to keep up on chores. And then the house gets messy and I feel even more down. Seeing a tidy living room is a great mood lifter.
Things I learned this week:
1) Make the bed as soon as I roll out of bed in the morning. That way, as I leave my room and walk into the kitchen, the first thing I do is mark off “Make bed” on the Chore List. Makes me feel accomplished in the morning before I’ve even had my coffee.
2) Sweeping the kitchen every day, rather than every few days, makes a big difference. I can’t eat off the floor, but it’s noticeably nicer to be in the kitchen.
3) If I don’t have time for a bigger chore, at this point I’m just putting it off until next week when it rolls around again. When I miss a chore, I don’t worry about it and know it’s coming back around soon.
4) Many of the chores are a bit time-consuming right now because I’m behind and things are worse than normal. Once I take the time to do the chore well, it’ll be easier next time it comes around in the rotation and will go much faster.
5) I realize how often I was forgetting to do things around the house. Just basic upkeep types of chores like emptying the dishwasher or wiping appliances. Now that those things are on the list, they’re getting done and I don’t have to rely on my memory.
6) Don’t worry if a chore is too big to tackle all in one day because it’s been skipped for so long. I set a timer (5 or 10 minutes) and worked on things until time’s up. The chore will come around again and I can work on it again for a few minutes. I can do anything for ten minutes, even nasty chores.
7) Music helps me move a bit faster and gets the chores done more quickly.
This past week was sort of my test run to see if the Chore Lists still work for me. I have to say the test was a success. I’m still behind in a lot of areas, but as the chores keep coming around, I’ll keep working on things. The house is noticeably tidier.
Onward and upward!